Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day 2012



Today is Election Day in the United States of America.  It is a close race and this evening promises to be a long night.  I have avoided election coverage, chose to not watch the debates, and have refused to discuss the situation with anyone other than my wife.  I have waited for this day to be over for the past six months and now face the last grueling hours.  The next 10 to 12 hours may be what is left of many of my freedoms. 
 
Under Mitt Romney, my marriage could be declared invalid and my wife barred from my hospital bedside.  My reproductive rights, my right to choose if and when I have children, and the protection from someone else’s definition of rape could all be jeopardized.  The negative influence would probably not end there, but I can barely bring myself to consider what else may change, disappear, evaporate.  

Romney and a large portion of the GOP threaten my family, my marriage, my love because of pure bigotry cloaked in self-righteous religion.  I have tried to be reasonable, cooperative, bi-partisan – as President Obama has – and we all see where that has gotten us.  I will not stand to be stripped of my basic rights as an American.  I will not tolerate hatred and bigotry, even if they brand me a crazed liberal, fem-nazi, anti-American.  I voted for myself, my gender, my sexuality, my race and every other, and for America.  I hope each and every one of you does the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment