Monday, June 25, 2012

Goals

I like accomplishing things. I make to-do lists just so I can check things off throughout the day. Instead of a New Year's resolution this year, I made an array of goals covering everything from literature to language study to homemade pasta.  

Thus far I've been most successful with my goal to read 26 books in 2012, which averages out to a book every two weeks.  I love to read.  My undergraduate university degree is English literature and before that, most of my high school awards were in writing or literature.  I eventually went into a field that doesn't totally utilize those interests and strengths, which led me to setting this goal and creating this blog.

1 year goal in 6 months flat. Now to up the challenge I am aiming for 26 new books, since I did get sucked into re-reading the complete Harry Potter series this winter...

2012 Book Challenge (27/26, 21 new)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Larson
The Girl who Played with Fire - Larson
HP and the SS - JK Rowling
HP and the C of S - JK Rowling
At Home - Bryson
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest - Larson
HP and the POA - JK Rowling
Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell
HP and the OotP - JK Rowling
Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire - Collins
Mockingjay - Collins
The da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Why be Happy when you could be Normal? - Jeanette Winterson
Sexing the Cherry - Winterson
The World According to Clarkson - Jeremy Clarkson
HP and the HBP - JK Rowling
One Step Behind - Henning Mankell
Cane - Jean Toomer
The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai
A Conspiracy of Papers - David Liss
HP and the DH - J.K. Rowling
The World According to Clarkson Part II - Jeremy Clarkson
The Mother Tongue - Bill Bryson
The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
The Fire Engine that Disappeared - Wahloo
Sacred Hearts - Sarah Dunant

My favorites included Jeanette Winterson's memoir or "cover story", as she described it and Bryson's "The Mother Tongue" and "At Home".  I love everything Bryson write and he has an uncanny ability to take seemingly mundane topics and bring them to live through details otherwise ignored.

Now that I've started reading at maximum capacity again I don't plan to slow down anytime soon, especially with a week at the beach coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment