Thursday, August 30, 2012

Snackles: Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Macaroni and cheese is a comfort food I denied myself for years, since dairy often equaled 'fattening' in my head. Nowadays I feel good feeding my woman tasty treats and she's most happy if I'm sharing, so everything in moderation. This is easy and so wonderful and makes great lunch the day after (if any survives that long).

Baked Macaroni & Cheese (adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens recipe)

2 cups cooked pasta (penne or fusili work well)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
Black Pepper
1 1/4 cup milk (I always use skim, lactose-free since that's what we keep in the house)
2 cups shredded milk (A mix is best: this batch has colby jack, sharp cheddar, swiss & guyrere)
1/2 to 1 cup of cracker or bread crumbs (I used ritz)
A sprinkling of Parmesan cheese

1. Cook and drain the pasta.

2. While the pasta is cooking, melt butter completely and add flour and pepper; stir until well mixed.

3. Add the milk all at once and stir until it begins to thicken and bubble.

4. Add cheese and stir until completely melted and smooth.

5. Toss well drained pasta in cheese sauce, coating all pasta evenly.

6. Distribute cheesey pasta into a square 8"x8" glass baking pan.

7. Sprinkle crushed crackers or bread crumbs on top; add a dusting of parmesan for extra cheese goodness.

8. Place baking pan into a 375 degree oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top of the dish has browned lightly and is bubbling.

And enjoy!


Final Product!

No comments:

Post a Comment