Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The only Soup you'll ever need

The lovely American holiday of Thanksgiving is only mere hours away and while I have an afternoon of sitting in traffic to look forward to, here is easy, healthy, and most importantly delicious recipe that can be made ahead and is sure to impress.

I discovered this recipe years ago and the first time I made it was one of those landmark moments in my life where I felt I knew how to cook for real. My Mom and I both make it and it is always a crowd pleaser. Incredibly creamy and sweet-savory, autumnal and beautifully orange, it's rich without being overly so and would be a perfect accompaniment to a holiday feast.

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

2 pounds skinned butternut squash, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups chicken stock (veggie stock, if you are so inclined)
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup light or heavy cream

Chop all vegetables and place in soup pot with chicken stock.  Simmer until squash is tender; about 40 minutes.  

Carefully transfer cooked vegetables and stock into a blender and puree until smooth.

Add butter and mix well, making sure butter is completely melted.

Return puree to soup pot and whisk in cream.

Serve.


Makes 6-8 helpings.

Freezes well; thaw and reheat on the stove top or in the microwave. Stir well before serving.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment